Tom Curry
Testimonial September 30th 1953 v Hibernian

unitedkits_kit_0628
unitedkits_number_0628

Regarded by Matt Busby as the best trainer in Britain, Curry was granted a benefit by the club after almost twenty years service.

Curry was originally appointed by Scott Duncan in the summer of 1934, along with Bill Inglis. The pair, dressed in their archetypical white butcher coats, became an institution at Old Trafford. Curry remained at the club until his death at Munich in February 1958.

Curry was born in South Shields in 1894 and played for two local sides (St. Michael's and Parkside) before attracting interest from Newcastle United. On the resumption of League football after the First World War Curry signed professional terms with the Geordies, making his League début in the first game of the 1919/20 season at Arsenal.

In November 1919 he represented the Football League against the Irish League at right half.

Equally confident at either right or left half, Curry made over 200 League appearances before leaving St. James' Park in January 1929, joining Stockport County. He was retained at Edgeley Park for the 1929/30 season after which he retired and took the training role at Carlisle United, where he remained until moving to Old Trafford.